Monday, September 8, 2014

DAY 8 - CHURCH ISN'T JUST FOR SUNDAYS

I am a Mormon – born and raised. Some people think that Mormons going to church for 3-hours every Sunday is a bit excessive. But the truth is that it’s even more than that – some weeks a lot more.
   Saturday night my ward did a Dutch Oven Dinner. About 250 people came and for a few hours we ate, visited, laughed -- and it was great. Sunday was 3-hours of church, more visiting, etc.
   Monday was Family Home Evening for the Empty-Nesters. This group is mostly retired and includes people from all walks of life – and is an educated, loving, feisty, kind-hearted group of seniors that I truly adore.
   Tuesday evening is a Relief Society Social. Although I’m sure there will be a message, and probably fabulous food, I’m guessing “social” will probably take most of the time. It’s THAT kind of a ward.
   Some of my friends might think that getting together for something “churchy” 4 days in a row is excessive. Some people don’t even go once a week. Some don’t go to church at all.
   But it’s not about being “churchy” – in fact, very little of it has anything really to do with “Pure Religion”. But it is about Christianity, because in its purest sense it really should be about Christ – and this is. Oh, not in some “sermon-y” way – but in that these lovely people truly do represent Christ. They genuinely care about each other, and they demonstrate love in the simplest and smallest of acts – done constantly, because that is truly their nature.
   Ward Family really is the best way to describe it, because these people are truly like family. They greet me with a hug, ask how I am doing because they genuinely care, and I know that I could turn to any of them for anything at any time.
   Four days in a row might be too much church-stuff for some, but I am glad that this church stuff happens on more than just Sunday – because I need Christlike people in my life far more than once a week.


The church is not a place where 
perfect people gather to say perfect things, 
or have perfect thoughts, or have perfect feelings. 
The church is a place where 
imperfect people gather to provide 
encouragement, support, and service 
to each other as we press on in our journey 
to return to our Heavenly Father.
 -- Joseph B. Wirthlin




No comments:

Post a Comment