Wednesday, September 10, 2014

DAY 10 - I LOVE TO SEE THE TEMPLE, ESPECIALLY FROM THE INSIDE

When I got engaged on my 29th birthday, part of marrying him meant giving up the temple. It was only supposed to be for one-year, but it turned into 18-years of not having the temple in my life – and I missed it, I longed for it. After the divorce, one of my first things was to get a Temple Recommend again. On my 47th birthday, exactly 18-years to-the-day since I had given up the temple, I went back – and ten cherished family and friends were there with me for that first session back.
   I have never lived more than 15 minutes from a temple. Even growing up in Oakland, the Oakland Temple was also our Ward Building. But for 18 years I didn’t set foot inside a temple. I knew that’s how things had to be then, but I get to live a different life now – and I choose to live a life that includes going to the temple every month. And so far, even with my crazy travel schedule, I get to the temple almost every month. 
   And I don’t say that to brag, but to share the importance of the temple to me. I know what it’s like to not have the temple in my life, and I know that I am happier this way. Don’t ever find out for yourself – just take my word on that one. And go every month, so you never get out of the habit of going. It’s too important to lose, and it’s too easy to take for granted.
   So today I went to the temple with my Temple Buddy, Kaye Nelson. Although she’s a temple worker AND goes regularly with her husband, she makes time to attend with me every month too. We’ve had some great experiences attending together, and attending the temple is a beautiful thing to share. To share with family, like when I was 6-months-old and was sealed to my parents. With friends, like Kaye today. And one day with a life companion that will not only promise to be sealed to me for eternity, but will follow-through on that promise.


The way you feel in the temple 
is a pattern for how you want to 
feel in your life. 
-- Elder Neil L. Andersen


No comments:

Post a Comment