Sunday, September 7, 2014

DAY 7 - FAST SUNDAYS AREN'T SLOW ENOUGH


I love Fast Sundays. I even usually cook something special for dinner (and I very rarely cook). Late Saturday I run to the store, typically running into a few neighbors also grabbing a few last-minute Saturday night groceries. As I put the food away at home, I also put away the bananas and other foods that are too easy to grab without thinking the next morning.
   And I almost always choose a purpose for my Fast – a friend or loved-one who is struggling or suffering; an answer to a question within myself; a communal purpose (like a Ward Fast). And most often, there is more than one focus – because there is an awful lot of sorrow going on in this world.
   There is a tender and caring bond created when you Fast for someone. Fasting is a truly selfless act – a pouring-out of your heart to the Lord for the succor of another of God’s children. No praise, no recompense – just love. It draws you closer in concern and compassion toward them from the simple act of Fasting and Praying on their behalf.
   Admittedly, lately much of my fasting has included things weighing on my own mind and heart – in a search for peace and for answers. A few months ago I was so tormented with heartache, betrayal, and loss that I couldn’t even find words to pray. As I knelt at my bedside each night, words refused to come – so I just knelt there and cried. I figure God knows my heart and could feel the pain that I still do not know words to effectively describe.
   And I fasted. I fasted a lot, sometimes for days at a time. Even weeks later I fasted every single Sunday, because I was still so struggling for understanding. The questions “Why me?” and “Why this?” echoed over and over in my mind – all day long, and all night too. Eventually I gave up the search for understanding – because I’m not sure I will ever understand, at least in this life – and I decided to just pray for Peace. All I wanted was for the heartache to go away and to be filled with a sense of Peace.
   Fasting & Prayer. I’ve been taught about it all my life, but it is at times of greatest challenge that the true power of turning your troubles over to God is truly learned. And while praying daily has tremendous power, the combination of Fasting and Prayer has significant Spiritual Power to help overcome the greatest challenges in our lives. There is a Humbling Before God that takes place with Fasting that gives our Prayers power beyond measure. 
   And on Sundays, especially Fast Sundays – is when I make the time to slow down. It is impossible to hear God’s Voice if the sounds of the world are constantly in your ears. So I leave the tv and radio turned off. And I sit. I write. I play the piano. I go for a walk in the beautiful nature that God has created for us. And I allow myself time to be alone with my thoughts and alone with my Savior. And as I do, thoughts enter my mind and a Confirming Peace enters my heart – and little by little I have learned some of the answers. And it is in the Slowing Down to Listen that God answers my prayers.
   I don’t know that I have achieved “filled with” Peace, but I have definitely begun to gain small pieces of Peace within. At least enough Peace to be able to start to let go of the past and start to look forward again.


We would do well to slow down a little, 
focus on the significant, 
and truly see the things that matter most. 
-- Dieter F. Uchtdorf




1 comment:

  1. Your strength is amazing to me! Great post and reality check for me. I have been feeling pretty sorry for myself.

    ReplyDelete