Sunday, September 28, 2014

DAY 28 - PLAYING AROUND -- the Perfect Sunday Afternoon Activity

I love coming home on Sunday afternoons, opening the doors to my beautiful little Courtyard, and playing the piano. I could play for hours – and typically do. There’s something relaxing about just opening a book of sheet music as those little black dots tell my fingers just precisely how to dance across the keys. I’ve played the piano for years, and I’m still not quite sure I understand how it all really works.
   And the music floats on the air, and bounces around the little courtyard a bit before it floats off into the sky. The dogs run in-and-out, loving having the doors open – and the birds living in the Courtyard Wisteria don’t seem to mind the music at all. Fortunately, neither do the neighbors.
   Sundays are about the only day I play the piano anymore. I’m not sure why, but I guess I just get too busy during the week – and piano-playing is a bit of a luxury that I don’t often allow myself time for. Except on Sundays, because it is an appropriate Sunday-type activity – so that’s when I indulge.
   I’ve played the piano off-and-on most of my life, but it wasn’t really until I was in college that I got any good. In my whole life, I’ve only taken about 3½ years of lessons. But when I got to college I had more opportunity to play, and more motivation, so I practiced A LOT – and all that practicing paid off. In college I made pretty decent grocery money playing at Weddings and for Vocal Auditions. (Although, if truth be told, I would have played for free – because I truly just enjoy it.)
   My one “Claim to Fame” in this world is one wedding I played at a dozen or so years ago. Instead of a regular “corporate” job, I was primarily teaching piano and playing at wedding receptions after my mom died (so I could spend more time with Dad) – and one day I got a call about a reception. It was last minute, and they asked on a Wednesday if I was available for Friday – which I was – so I jotted down all the detail for the wedding. It was at a reception center in Lehi, which I played at fairly regularly – and when it got to the names of the Bride and Groom, well the groom was an Osmond. What? The father of the groom was one of the Osmond Brothers (I can’t remember which anymore - Alan, Merrill, Wayne). I remember asking: “You mean the Osmonds don’t know anyone in Utah that can play the piano???”  Hey, it was $200 for 2-hours of playing, so I was in. When I got there, Debbie Gibson came and sat next to me on the piano bench, flipping through my sheet music, saying “Play this!”, and singing – joined in by a wide-variety of Osmonds. It was the funnest and most nerve-wracking 2-hours of piano playing of my life. And a memory I will never forget.
   Nowadays I’m more along the speed of playing in Relief Society and the occasional Musical Number at church – which is just fine with me. I play because I enjoy it. There is something healing about music – and for a few hours, on a Sunday afternoon, I am transported. I am whole. I am somewhere the troubles of the world don’t exist, and I am at peace.
   If you have nothing going on some Sunday, come on over, sit in my Courtyard, and I’ll play one of my favorites for you.


Music
gives a soul to the universe,
wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination,
and life to everything else.

-- Plato


No comments:

Post a Comment