Friday, September 5, 2014

DAY 4 - COMIC CON IS EXTRAORDINARY

I have never been to Comic Con before – until today. I’ve always been curious, so this year I decided that I’d go ahead and see what all the fuss was about. And having friends in High Places helps out – because Jake Parker has a booth there, and had a Guest Pass he let me have.  [If you go to Comic Con, stop by and see Jake – he’s a very talented artist!]

First of all THE PEOPLE!  WOW!!!  There are not only TONS of them, apparently they are all Crazy. Seriously, if you ever want to feel “Normal” just spend an afternoon at Comic Con. The line was 4-city-blocks long to get in (and it’s only Thursday afternoon) – so I pulled strings and sneaked in the back!  And the costumes that people chose to wear – well, let’s just say it reminded me of growing up near Berkeley California.

Just as I arrived, Jake was being interviewed for a Documentary. He and his family did a fabulous cross-country road-trip this summer, and Jake did an Art Drop as part of it – which they are including in the documentary. This Art Drop is an incredible project, engaging and selfless, and scattered art and joy all across this great country of ours. And it was especially awesome to see a dear friend get recognized for doing something spectacular.

The other fabulous part of Comic Con was the lecture by Kevin Sorbo. He did the Hercules and Andromeda series on television a number of years ago. He shared stories about his career in acting, starting out as a male model, early guest appearances, etc. And then he shared his experience of suffering 3 strokes and how that changed his life and his career. He was poignant, funny, and real. And among the crowd of Star Trek, Zombies, Gladiators, and Geeks – it was refreshing to hear from a Superhero that understands what is truly important in life.


I went to Comic Con expecting to see a bunch of Fantasy and Fiction, but I learned two great lessons: Jake Parker taught me that someone ordinary having an ordinary family vacation can still do something extraordinary. And Kevin Sorbo taught me that even extraordinary people facing extraordinary circumstances cherish the same ordinary things that the rest of us do.


I'm looking for the 
EXTRA
in the
ORDINARY.




No comments:

Post a Comment