Tuesday, September 23, 2014

DAY 23 -- SINGLE AND UNEMPLOYED -- the similarities between First Dates and Job Interviews

Being Single and Unemployed has a lot of parallels, and both are a bit unnerving. And in the 21st Century, both are mostly handled online. 
   For my birthday in June a girlfriend gave me a membership on a dating website – with a “get back on that horse” instruction. After saying “NO!” (or rather H@$% NO!), she gently said that if I didn’t do my own profile that she would do it for me. Not wanting any of that, I relented and created a profile – and after my Accidental Date maybe an intentional one wouldn’t be so bad.
   And now (as of last week) I am also Job Hunting again. I have updated my profile on LinkedIn, reviewed my resume, and started sending it out.
   Whether my Dating Profile or my Work Resume, it’s all about carefully choosing the right words to catch someone’s attention. It’s about putting forth your strengths, and presenting yourself in a way that will draw the right situation. Although my Dating Profile is much more laid-back than my resume – both are designed to present me in the best possible light.
   So now I sit – waiting for someone to respond. Both personally and professionally, I’m just waiting to see what will happen. It’s a bit nerve-wracking – this Patience Game. On both fronts, I get negative or no responses from some that surprise me – and I get approaches and positive responses from others that also surprise me. I guess that’s just how life is.
   I’ve met a couple of nice guys online, and even been on a handful of dates. And today I had my first Job Interview. Hopefully there are more of each in my future. And there are sooooo many similarities between the two, including:
  •    First Appearances count. Although the wardrobe is definitely different, it’s still about doing the hair and makeup – and wanting to make a good impression.
  •    Lots of questions. Why are you single/unemployed? What happened in your previous marriage/job? What are you looking for in a new relationship/employer?
  •    And, wondering if there will be a Second Date/Second Interview.
   And, I’m in a good place for each. I’m not in a rush to find the next relationship or the next job – and I am definitely going to take my time to find the right situation for each. With dating, I’m just having fun, meeting some nice guys, and seeing what my options are. With employment, I’m networking and making connections, looking for the right job situation, and seeing what my options are.
   I don’t like being either Single nor Unemployed. I don’t expect to spend the rest of my life alone, and I certainly can’t be without an income for very long. But for now both are right for me – and when the right opportunity (in each) comes along I’ll be ready.


Currently I am Single and Unemployed 
-- heck, if I played video games 
and lived in my parents basement, 
I'd be the Full Package. 


No comments:

Post a Comment