Wednesday, May 23, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - WONDER TOWER


One of the random stops I made along the way was in Genoa, Colorado. That’s where you’ll find the Wonder Tower (and really not much else). This was one of those roadside attractions built in the 1930s, back when Family Vacation meant piling everyone into the car and driving across the U.S. And the Wonder Tower was built up with all the fanfare and hype that you would expect from the period. At the time, it was the tallest point between Denver and NYC – and especially with the flatness of the surrounding area, it is a towering tower that you can see from miles away.
   Pulling up, you see the sign that says “See 6 States” – and apparently the old observation deck had a telescope mounted so that you could peer into 5 of the surrounding states. The museum exhibits, added in 1967 by a new owner, boasted much memorabilia, including a significant Native American artifact collection.
   But nowadays, it’s all boarded up and closed. No trespassing signs line the perimeter, and a sign touting the peril this landmark faces sits prominently on the main gate. A bit of online research shows that a few people have now purchased it and are still hoping to be able to reopen it someday – but they definitely have their hands full to accomplish that cool but overwhelming task.
   It’s too bad. Often when I drive to these old-time places, I try to imagine my parents there – probably in the 40s and 50s, when they did a lot of car drives. Connecting to our past makes me nostalgic for those people long since gone – imaging what they did 50 years ago, and wishing that I had been more observant and more inquisitive when I had the chance.
   So I will continue to make random stops along the way, and I will continue to wax nostalgic. It’s not only just who I am, but in my own way it does connect me to my past.



No comments:

Post a Comment