Friday, May 25, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - RUNNING ON EMPTY


I love my Smart Car. I love that it’s a little, and cute, and fun. I love that it gets great gas mileage. I love that it has a ton of room in the back. I love that it is comfortable to drive. And today I love that it tells me what my current miles per gallon (MPG) is – and exactly how many gallons I have left in the tank.
   As you know, I’ve been driving through Kansas – miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of farmland. And because I like to go off the beaten path, I didn’t stay on the main highway. All of these fabulous places are on little country roads that meander through the backroads. That was all great fun – until I realized that I was low on gas, and there were no gas stations on the backroad that I was driving on. So I asked Sirio (Siri’s British Cousin, and my backroads navigator) to check for gas stations on my route. There were a few options. So I stopped at the first one – it was a vacant lot. Hmmm. I pulled up the second one – this one had gone out of business. Hmmmmmmmm. Third times the charm, right? So I pulled up to the third one. It was after 5pm, so the office was closed – but I grabbed my credit card and walked to the pump . . . only to discover that these pumps weren’t equipped with credit card readers. You can’t buy gas when the station was closed. (What is this – the dark ages???)
   I was now dangerously low on fuel – and I had no choice but to continue onward – because I had gone too far already, and I knew there was nothing behind me before I would run out of gas. So I prayed –  I prayed hard – and I pressed on.
   Thank heavens for the gentle rolling slopes of Kansas farmland – because I could coast down the hills to conserve on gas – and check my gauge to see how efficient my MPG was, and EXACTLY how much gas was left in the tank.
   My cute little Smart Car gets great gas mileage – almost 50 miles to the gallon. But the gas tank only holds 9.4 gallons. When you get down to the last gallon, the dash lights up to tell you just how many 1/10ths of a gallon you have left. I watched those 1/10ths of a gallon tick down, and tick down. Still no gas station in sight. Half a gallon – 0.4 gallons – 0.3 gallons. Uh oh!
   Finally, lights of actual civilization ahead. After miles and miles of nothing but cows, corn, and farms – well, I was wondering if I’d ever make it back to the 21st century. And fortunately, near the edge of town: an open gas station WITH Credit card capability at the pump. WHEW!  I pulled up to the pump with .2 gallons left. And I put 9.2 gallons into my 9.4 gallon tank.
   As I drove away, I realized my tank wasn’t 98% empty – it was 2% full. It wasn’t that I drove around for 45 miles and didn’t find a gas station – it’s that I could have gone probably another 10 miles. It’s not about whether the glass is half full or half empty – it’s about appreciating that you even have a glass at all.
   No, I don’t want to run out of gas – and I’ll try to keep my tank fuller as I continue on. But the truth is an empty gas tank would have just been another adventure – and I probably would have met some interesting people along the way. And that I even have a gas tank (and a car) and gas to put in it, and the opportunity to have these fun adventures – well, that’s really a pretty terrific blessing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment