Saturday, May 26, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - I'M NOT A MORNING PERSON


So my driving didn’t exactly go according to plan, and I ended up wayyyyyy behind schedule. I was planning to stay overnight with other friends, but it turned out that I just wasn’t going to get far enough down the road in time – so I texted to apologize. Instead of trying to make my intended destination (where I would have arrived after midnight), I decided to just see how far I could get.
   I drove for a few more hours, until I was starting to get drowsy, and ended up in Topeka about midnight. I grabbed my phone to find a cheap hotel to crash in – but every hotel was booked. Literally. And really expensive. What does Topeka have that is such a draw? Nothing that I could find on any website.  But I was too tired to drive any further, and I have learned to not push my limits. It had been a fun but rather long day – and I knew I couldn’t go any further without at least closing my eyes for a few minutes – so that’s exactly what I did. Since I couldn’t find a hotel (for under $250/nite, and a “cheap” motel at that) I pulled off at a truck stop, found a safe place to park, and try to get comfortable so I can close my eyes.
   And although my Smart Car is very comfortable to drive, it is the opposite-of-comfortable to try to stretch out and get a few winks. You can’t lay the seat back more than just a few inches – and even with a pillow, there is just no way to get comfortable. I tried squinching down in the seat. I tried stretching across into the passenger seat. All attempts at Car Yoga trying different positions failed. There is just no way for a big tall long-legged person to try to get a comfortable nap in a Smart Car. So I propped a pillow against the door and tried to sleep sitting up.
   Now I don’t usually get more than about 4-hours of sleep at night anyway, but I must’ve been especially tired. I managed to get just over 3-hours, sitting-upright and totally-uncomfortable in my car. Yet I felt totally refreshed!
   So at 4 a.m. I was wide-awake and raring to go – off I headed again. This time, headed for Kansas City.
   To say that I am not a morning person is an understatement. I hate mornings! HATE! But somehow this particular morning at 4 a.m. – after sleeping in an uncomfortable car, and without any of my usual creature comforts – I felt great! It felt great to be up and going that early. And I got to do something that I rarely do – I got to watch the sun come up. I can’t exactly say that I got to see the sunrise, because you can’t really see the horizon when everything around you is flatland and bushy trees. But it was pretty invigorating to watch the morning sky start to lighten and brighten – and to watch the day begin.
   My Dad was a Morning Person. Up every morning at 5:30 a.m. – without even needing an alarm clock. He would get up, read scriptures and other books for a few hours, start a fire in the fireplace on chilly mornings – all before Mom or Fran or I even started hitting the snooze button. And this morning, I started to understand why. There is something revitalizing about getting ahead of the day – and having some time to yourself to do those extra “feed your soul” activities.
   I don’t know that I’m going to start getting up early every morning – but I think I’ll start doing it once-in-a-while. To be there to enjoy the sun rise. To listen as the birds and other creatures start their morning songs. To watch as the sleeping world awakens to a beautiful new day. To take a few minutes before the rush of life takes over to appreciate the amazing blessings of each and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment