Sunday, May 27, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - SAVANNAH AND HER MINIONS

Well, roadtrips rarely go according to plan – and this one was no different. My meanderings took longer than expected, and construction and an accident caused more delays than anticipated. So I didn’t quite make it to Kansas City to stay overnight with Savannah.
   Back when I worked at Noni, one of my best employees was Clarke Woods – and not long afterward his sister joined the Noni Family. Savannah and I hit it off, and we had quite a few interests in common (especially writing). At one point we had talked about doing NaNoWriMo together – but when we met to discuss it, she had just gotten engaged. So instead of becoming Writing Buddies, a few months later she moved into my basement with her new husband, Carl. It was fun to have them around, and to have them in my ward too. And eventually (after a very long journey) they had cute little twins join their family.
   Savannah and Carl moved to Missouri a few years ago, but Savannah and I stay in touch frequently. The twins are now 2½-year-olds – adorable and energetic – and now they have a new baby sister too. Catching up and seeing Savannah’s Minions was mandatory – so my overnight plans morphed into meeting for lunch, with her whole little crew. A great lunch, a nice visit, and watching the kids be kids – all ended too soon.
   We may not see each other often – but some friendships don’t need that. There are just some people that come into your life and you just “click” with, and Savannah was like that for me. We have common interests and common sensibilities – and we just “get” each other. And it may be quite a while before we get to see each other again, but even if it was just a quick visit, it was another reconnection that did my heart good.


No comments:

Post a Comment