Sunday, May 27, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - CAN YOU FIX A FLAT WITH DUCT TAPE?


Actual photo of my car in the shop
After lunch with Savannah, my Check Tire Light was on again. It had come on twice along the way – but I’d had everything checked before I left Utah, so I wasn’t too worried. But it had now come on twice within a few hours, so I decided I should probably have it checked. (Remember, Smart Cars don't have spares -- where would you put it?) There was a Walmart across the parking lot, so I headed over to the Tire Center to see if they would check it for me. As it turns out there was a staple in the tire – they could fix it, but it would take an hour.
   Apparently Smart Cars don’t exist in Missouri. There were 10 mechanics on duty, and none of them had seen a Smart Car up close before. They weren’t sure how to even get the tire off, since the car is too small for their big lift – so they just jacked it up by hand. And they didn’t have the right socket for the Lug Nuts (it’s metric) – but I keep one in my glovebox, just in case. And since they were fixing the tire, I asked them to check the fluids too.
   A few minutes later one of the mechanics came into the Waiting Room – because none of them could figure out how to pop the hood (which is admittedly a bit funky on a Smart Car), and they couldn't figure it out from YouTube (not joking!) Oh, and half of the engine stuff is in the front – and the other half is in the back under the storage, so I had to pull all of my luggage out to get to it. But after significant teasing from the mechanics, the tire was fixed and all the fluids were fine  – and I was on my way again.
  I was already a little behind schedule, and this put me way behind schedule – but I am so grateful for the prompting to have the tire checked, and for finding a place close by that could fix it and get me back on the road. And the best part: it only cost me $10.


No comments:

Post a Comment