Thursday, May 24, 2018

ROADTRIPPIN - GEOGRAPHIC CENTER OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES


Have you ever wondered where the Center of the U.S. is?  I know – me too! Well, amazingly enough, it’s in Kansas – Lebanon, Kansas, that is.  OK, technically, it’s the Geographic Center of the Continental United States (it’s a different location when you add in Alaska & Hawaii) – but in 1918 someone REALLY wanted to know, so they did the math. A lot of math. [Thousands of miles of shoreline, with big changes (like Hurricanes carving out chunks), and even little changes – like between high-tide and low-tide, etc.]
   But some really smart guys figured out that the Center is a couple of miles northwest of the town center of Lebanon, Kansas – not far from the Kansas-Nebraska border. “Technically”, the “center” – as determined by a survey in 1918, is in the middle of a farm. But that farmer didn’t want no city folk traipsing through his fields, so in 1959 the U.S. National Geodetic Survey put the marker in a small park nearby (which you can easily find on Google Maps).
   So if you feel out of balance, maybe coming to the Center of the U.S. to find your own “center” will help. I know that having all this time on the road to just be alone with my thoughts has given me a lot of time to think. There is a great quote by Lao Tzu that says: “At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”
   For me, that’s really what this roadtrip is about. Not so much about random sightseeing spots. Probably not even about going to visit my sister. But just some time away from my normal routines to get Centered. And here at the Center of the U.S. I found my own center too.


No comments:

Post a Comment