Saturday, October 25, 2014

DAY 55 - CHILDREN'S FAIRYLAND and the Love Story that Never Was

Gena Roe at Children's Fairyland October 2014
There is a charming children’s amusement park in Downtown Oakland called Children’s Fairyland. It is nestled along the shore of Lake Merritt, and is based on Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes – and I spent a million hours there as a kid. Built in the 1950s, it definitely has a Retro feel to it. And today I spent a lovely afternoon wandering through Children’s Fairyland and remember the times I enjoyed there growing up.
   When I was a kid my dad was President of the Lake Merritt Breakfast Club, the sponsoring entity for Children’s Fairyland – so I got the opportunity to be a Character at Fairyland. Each year a few dozen kids are selected to be Characters, which means that we got to be special volunteers for the year – but primarily during the summer. What started for me as a 10-year-old, continued for years to come.
   Back in the early days of Fairyland, PoPo was a permanent fixture. Count PoPo de Bathe (yes, Popo was really his first name) started in a circus at age 15 and remained a circus performer for many years, and eventually became a Magician – later in life he was an Ambassador for Unicef. Few people ever saw PoPo without his clown make-up – and I remember the first time I did, because my dad had to point out that it was PoPo. PoPo was at Fairyland 7-days-a-week, did at least 5 shows every day, and always had a pocket full of balloons for making balloon animals for every kid that he met. As a man that lived a life of service and bringing joy to children, PoPo also often visited children in the hospital.
   Although PoPo spent his entire life making children laugh and bringing joy to others, PoPo actually had a very sad life early on. He was an orphan, left on a church doorstep in a shoebox as a newborn, in 1900. Even his adoptive family abandoned him – asking the neighbors to watch him for an hour, and then never returned. I remember one of PoPo’s birthdays, I wished him a Happy Birthday – and he told me that he didn’t actually even know when he birthday was, but this day had been someone’s guess when he was little so that was when he celebrated it. Because of this he decided that he could never marry. He planned to spend the rest of his life alone.
LoLo and PoPo
   Also at Fairyland was LoLo, whose real name was Adonna Mae Houston – and she was The Old Woman Who Lived in The Shoe, which was the Ticket Booth Operator at the entrance. She also ran the petting zoo and took care of the animals. And LoLo was in love with PoPo. LoLo’s father had been a circus man in the late 1800s to early 1900s, and that’s how LoLo met PoPo. Eventually they ended up in Oakland, and the home LoLo had inherited from her father was filled with Circus Memorabilia. And LoLo let PoPo live in her house, while she lived in an apartment building next door.
LoLo and PoPo
   While PoPo lived in the main part of the house, over 100 animals lived in the basement. With the circus, LoLo had been involved with animal acts – and her love for animals stayed with her the rest of her life. LoLo definitely brought her work home with her, she had about 150 animals at Fairyland – mostly rabbits and guinea pigs – and another 100 at home. She spent her own money to feed the animals, and had arranged with a few local restaurants for their vegetable scraps too. For work, she work a costume, and her apron pockets usually had a couple of bunnies in them.
   LoLo and PoPo were best friends and spent a great deal of time together – but PoPo refused to ever get married. So these two people – so apparently in love – lived at arms distance. Both of them such kind and loving people, spending their lives bringing joy to thousands of children, and always falling one step short of true happiness in their own lives.
photograph of PoPo by Ansel Adams
   I spent most of my summers at Fairyland, and most Saturdays during the school year – for about 5-years. Most of it was helping with the animals, but I loved Fairyland, so I was happy to help with just about anything. I did the Petting Zoo, I cleaned out rabbit cages, I fed the donkey (named Pinocchio) – and I loved every minute of it. I knew every inch of that adorable amusement park, and loved going back stage during the puppet shows with Lou Mahlmann and magic shows with PoPo. It truly was a magical place, and magical people that built their entire lives around bringing joy to others. An incredible lesson in my life.
   I still remember the day PoPo died, in 1981. Since PoPo was so close to Dad, he found out early – and told me as soon as I got home from school. I started to cry, and Dad held me tight – and when I pulled away I could see the tears in Dad’s eyes too. For a man who never had any family, PoPo lived a life where people loved him as much as family. I went down to visit LoLo a few days later, but she wouldn’t open the door. She wouldn’t answer any phone calls. She was so in love with PoPo, and now the love of her life was gone. She left Oakland, Fairyland, the home her father left her – everything. Without PoPo none of it had any meaning for her anymore. She moved to Hawaii a short time later and lived the rest of her life there.
   Over the years I have often thought about LoLo and PoPo – the lives they lived, and the love they shared. I always found it sad that PoPo denied himself true love – and by doing so, denied it to LoLo too. It is a Love Story that almost was, that could have been.








1 comment:

  1. I knew Popo and Lolo too. It was like knowing royalty.

    ReplyDelete