Sunday, October 19, 2014

DAY 49 - STARRY, STARRY NIGHT

A few years ago a friend gave me this sign:

            
Except that when I first read it, what I read was: 
Good friends are like STAIRS. 
You don’t always see them, 
but you know they are always there.

   I thought it was an unusual quote, but as a gift from Kisi Watkins – one of my funniest friends – even with my misreading of it, I still found meaning in it. Only after about a week did I notice that it said STARS. Ahhhh, whole different meaning entirely. (I had wondered how she knew I was such a klutz on stairs?!?!?)

   Tonight after the sunset had finished and the night sky was beginning to sparkle, I grabbed the dogs and went for a walk. I love FALL! The crisp evening air – cool, but not yet cold. And this evening the sky was filled with stars.
   The neighborhood was mostly quiet – except for adorable neighbors I bumped into for a quick “Hi” and a hug. Just me, the dogs, and the empty streets of Provo – and the stars.
   There’s something about this time of year that makes the stars seem closer – and bigger. And there’s something about spending some time alone with the stars and the heavens that promotes soul-searching – especially on a Sunday night. With some of the decisions facing me on my horizon, taking time out to be contemplative is important. And as the stars flicker overhead, I find clarity in my thoughts – and answers begin to come.
   As I walked back home I remember a song my mom sang that asks:
Would you like to swing on a star?
Or carry moonbeams home in a jar?
And be better off than you are
Or would you rather be a . . .
   Then the song asks if you’d rather be a mule, a pig, a fish, etc. OK, weird, I know – but it is a cute little song.

   And I realized that although my life isn’t perfect, it’s mine. And I would rather be ME than a mule, a pig, a fish – or anyone else that I know. Because I wouldn’t trade shoes with anyone – and I’m pretty sure no one else would trade shoes with me either. We are each as unique as the stars in the sky – and it is up to each of us to shine.





No comments:

Post a Comment