Friday, October 24, 2014

DAY 53 - I LEFT MY HEART IN SAN FRANCISCO

I grew up in the Bay Area, and when I was a kid we went to San Francisco all the time. So today, since I’m in California for a job interview, I decided to spend the day Across The Bay. Because I am here during World Series, I decided to leave the car behind – and I headed on BART, the Bay Area Subway system. I remember when BART was built, back when I was a kid. And it is definitely a different sensation to go UNDER the Bay and know that the Pacific Ocean is above you. There’s that familiar ear-pop when you are back to dry land.
   I started off in the Embarcadero, and strolled along the ocean front. I found a darling little neighborhood park I’d never noticed before, and stopped to walk through it – and even crossed to the island in the middle. I stopped at Pier 39 including the Hard Rock Café, and a dozen of the great shops there.
   Then to Fisherman’s Wharf for a bite at Alioto’s, my moms’ favorite restaurant. When I was a kid, for birthdays and anniversaries it was Alioto’s –which is fine with me, because I have ALWAYS loved seafood. Lobster, crab, the best clam chowder in the world – and SOURDOUGH. If you think you like Sourdough Bread, you need to try San Francisco Sourdough – there is nothing like it in this world. So Alioto’s Clam Chowder in a Sourdough Bread Bowl was the perfect meal.
   A few blocks farther, and Ghirardelli Square – the home of Ghirardelli Chocolate. Yummmmm! I have no doubt that Heaven is Chocolate-Scented. At Ghirardelli Square you can see the 100+ year old equipment that was originally used to make chocolate, get a sample of Ghirardelli Chocolate – and shop in their amazing store for an incredible assortment of CHOCOLATE. Then, of course, a stop at the Soda Fountain for a delicious Ghirardelli Sea Salt Caramel Hot Cocoa – truly TO DIE FOR!
  One more stop at Maritime Aquatic Park – right on the waterfront in San Francisco. Across the water you can see Alcatraz. This is the turn-around point for the famous Cable Cars. Sailboats floating by, fog rolling in, and street vendors – so I stopped for a caricature.
   Although The City has changed significantly over the years, it is also filled with fabulous finds – and fabulous memories. Not only was my clam chowder delicious, but I sat there, with the boats docked just outside my window – and I know that I had dinner with my mom today. She never would have missed a chance at Alioto’s, and I don’t think she missed today either. There is a great little seashell shop on the corner, and Dad always used to buy me a little $5 basket of shells when I asked. Heck, I still love seashells. Because as much as San Francisco is a marvelous city to visit, it is a place we always went to celebrate. And along this 83-day Journey, I am celebrating. And today I celebrated the happiness of a wonderful childhood and the great times celebrated with my parents. They may be gone now, but the memories they instilled in me will always be there for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment