Friday, October 10, 2014

DAY 40 - MY TOMATO JAM FEAST

I got a text last night from my friend, Claudio Aguiar – it said that he had a jar of Tomato Jam for me. 
   Now your initial reaction is probably similar to what mine was – unless you’ve HAD Tomato Jam. It’s probably a typical American reaction. Fortunately Claudio isn’t American – he’s from Portugal. And fortunately so is his mother, who is the Master Chef for this amazing Tomato Jam.
   Claudio and I used to work together (and he’s still there), so I ran down to Morinda to get the Tomato Jam and to visit a few friends – but mostly for the Tomato Jam. And as I walked around visiting, carrying a jar of Tomato Jam, I got a few strange looks – so those foolish enough to comment were invited/forced to taste it. Each was pleasantly surprised. [Claudio, I think Matt Colyar is so convinced you might need to get a jar to him too.]
   Anyway, as I headed home, “regular” bread just wouldn’t suffice for something as fabulous as Tomato Jam – so I stopped at Kneaders and tasted four different breads before buying a loaf of Rosemary Focaccia. Hmmmm, but bread and jam isn’t quite enough for dinner – and I do make a yummy salad. So off to the grocery store for salad ingredients, including almonds and raspberries. Then on the way home, the Fruit Stand was open – oooooo, fresh tomatoes and pears. Now, that’s a feast.

   So here is tonight’s menu:
  • Cheese Tortellini (purchased at the store)
  • Herb Salad with Raspberries, Almonds, and Dried Cranberries
  • Fresh Tomatoes with coarse salt
  • Fresh Pears drizzled with Baird Honey
  • and for dessert: Tomato Jam on Rosemary Bread
   Even though I don’t cook, as you can tell, I do shop quite well. And I can throw a feast together with a few bucks and a few minutes’ notice.
   But more than that, I decided that I deserve to have a fabulous meal. It doesn’t have to be a special occasion. I don’t have to be having guests. I can have a feast anytime – even when I’m eating all by myself. A dear friend made a kind gesture by gifting to me a rare treat – and I decided that I would make it a celebration this evening. By myself. For myself. Of myself.

   It was delicious. And it all started with a tomato, an adorable and talented Portuguese Mom, and a thoughtful gift from a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment