Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DAY 31 - HORIZONTAL LIFE PAUSES (because taking a nap sounds too childish)

Today I went over to visit a friend who is recovering from surgery, just to sit with her and be with her for a little bit. While I was there she got tired and took a nap, so I headed out to the Kitchen table. After a little while, I went into check on her, just to make sure she was okay – and she was sound asleep, white noise in the background, and looking so peaceful sleeping there. It was not only just what she needed, but it made me a little jealous too.
   Because I don't sleep much at night, I very rarely take naps because, well, they really just mess-up my sleeping patterns even more. But today, I guess because I was inspired/jealous (and I was tired), so I took a nap.
   Naps are an amazingly glorious thing. And they are good for everyone. Just think about it:
   When a little kid takes a nap, the kid wakes up happy and wanting to play. And Kid Naps are good for the parents too (just ask the parent of any 2-year-old) -- even if only for a slight break in the day when the house is quiet.
   Dads take naps, often in the middle of a football game on a Saturday afternoon (more likely to happen if they are in charge of the kids).
   My dad was a napper. He was our bishop when I was little, and I remember Mom sending me up to “sit on his lap” – which I now realize was to keep him awake during Sacrament Meeting. I mean, who can sleep with an active 2-year-old on their lap. Dad was one of those people that could fall asleep anywhere.
   But when we were little, we would fight having to take a nap. What were we thinking??? I remember the little mats we made in kindergarten for Nap Time: mine was leopard print. Even 40 years later I still remember that Nap Mat – and I remember it fondly.
   When I was a kid, we often went on Sunday drives as a family – often to go visit friends, sometimes an hour or so away. One of my favorite things was falling asleep in the backseat of Dad’s Buick on the long ride home. I would wake up a few hours later, in a hot car, with all the windows rolled down – all sweaty and warm – and it was fabulous.
   And even within the last few years, when I was working at Tahitian Noni, and my house was only 1.2 miles from work – sometimes I would run home for lunch. And sometimes that lunch break would include a 15-minute power nap. Even just a quick 15 minutes, and I was ready to go back and face anything.
   So today, I got up, went to visit a friend for a few hours, ran a few errands, sent out a bunch of resumes. And then I started to feel a little tired, so I went to bed. It was just that simple – I went to bed. I pulled the blankets up over me, waited until the dogs got settled in, and then closed my eyes – for about 2 hours! It was amazing!
   I woke up with pillow creases on my face and my hair a jumbled mess, and I was a little bit groggy – but I felt fabulous. And that is probably the first nap I have had in the last couple of years – but hopefully not the last. Maybe this being-at-home and sleeping-in-my-own-bed thing could become a habit.

   And yes, I already want a nap tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment