Monday, July 10, 2023

DAY 39 – SAYING GOODBYE TO EUROPE, FOR NOW

This is it – my last day in Europe. What a whirlwind – definitely the Trip of a Lifetime.

            I wake up early, hoping that will have me sleep on the long plane ride home. Then I finish packing. I haven’t picked up much along the way – but I do decide to discard a few things, just to make a bit more room in my luggage. Somehow it feels like I have a lot less stuff now, but I think I just keep getting better at packing as I go along.

            I check out of the hotel and head out early – just for a last bit of wandering. I know I need to plan to get to the airport early – it’s more crowded now, 5 weeks later. And officially it’s a 1-hour bus ride to the airport, but there’s a ton of construction at the airport so I’m leaving extra early.

            On the way to meet the Airport Shuttle, I hope to do a last little shopping along these Paris streets – but most of the shops are still closed this early, so I stop at a café for breakfast instead. They advertise Pizza Crepes, but I opt for a pastry and some fresh-squeezed orange juice. As I make my way post-breakfast, I am stopped by a Frenchman who asks me for directions – and (amazingly) I knew exactly where he needed to go.

            The airport shuttle starts at the beautiful Opera House, then winds its way on a lumpy bumpy ride through Paris streets to the airport.

            Charles de Gaulle Airport is humongous – and even just Terminal 2 has 13 sections, with 50 gates each. And, of course, I’m in the last section and at the very last gate. Even efficient as they are, there are just sooooo many people to process. I get to the airport early so I don’t risk running late – and so I have some time to chill out before the flight. Besides, the stores at the Paris Airport are Prada, Ferragamo, Fendi – so it’s a fun place to browse through.

            Although I’m ready to get home, there’s also a sadness that this amazing trip is coming to an end. I watch Paris fade into the distance – but I also know that I’ll be back. Europe has won over a piece of my heart.

4 comments: