Friday, July 7, 2023

DAY 34 – LEAVING ZERMATT

My original plans had been to go through Basel Switzerland, then on to Cherbourg to visit Sandrine again – but I cannot find any options to book a train to Cherbourg on any day, even routing through others stops along the way. I had this problem when I first got here, but since then booking everything has been so easy that I didn’t realize it would be a problem. (I would even consider a BlaBlaBus – but can’t even find availability there.) 

            I contact Sandrine and let her know of my challenge, and end up just changing my plans to spend an extra day in Basel Switzerland again, before heading straight to Paris. I’m disappointed that I won’t get to see Sandrine before I leave – but this definitely won’t be my last trip to Europe, so I’ll just plan on visiting her again next time.

            After being here in Zermatt for over a week, packing back up takes a bit longer. I’ve really settled in here, and it has been lovely. Some fabulous Day Adventures, a few trips down to the Spa Salon in the basement (I mean, it’s right here and a lovely way to spend a few hours), and lovely picnic dinners out on my balcony – it doesn’t get better than that.

            One last beautiful sunrise on my balcony, a lovely breakfast at the hotel, and some more time reviewing train schedules before updating my Basel hotel reservation – and I’m off to town for a last stroll past the beautiful stone church & pretty little cemetery, lovely little shops, and maybe a stop in a bakery or two.

            And this means that I will get an extra day in Basel Switzerland. Not what I was planning, but you’ve got to turn lemons into lemonade, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment