Monday, July 3, 2023

DAY 29 – COGWHEEL TRAIN


Zermatt has a Cogwheel Train that goes up to the top of the mountains, up past the Matterhorn. And since I love trains, I just had to. This is the 125th Anniversary of this train, and it’s actually pretty popular.

            It starts right in the heart of Zermatt, so I grab a seat by the window – and even though it’s still a bit cool (and cooler as we head up the mountain, I still opt to open the window.

We start by riding past the edge of the town, and you can really see how many apartments/condos/hotels there are here. I can’t identify one single-family dwelling, but I’m sure there are a few.

It’s a beautiful train – and a spectacular view. As we get outside of town, we are riding through beautiful tall pines – and the crisp mountain air with all these pines gives me a hint of a Christmas smell.

Winding up the mountain, the Matterhorn ever looming in every view. And below the valley looks small and far away. This is a fast and steep elevation climb, and you can feel it in the air. In the distance you can see other snow-topped peaks also.

The wheels screech on some of the turns. This is an all-electric train, and I think it always has been. There are a few stops along the way, but I’m all about getting to the top.

It’s cold up here, and there’s a bit of wind. I envy those in puffer jackets and with mittens. But I am grateful for the scarf/shawl/wrap that I tucked into my luggage – just in case.

And once at the top – WOW! The views are stunning. I’m not sure the names of all the mountains in the distance – but they are quite a sight to behold. Whatever amazing things you’ve heard about The Alps – they’re all true.

No comments:

Post a Comment