Sunday, July 2, 2023

DAY 27 – A DAY TO RELAX

A day to relax. I mean, why pay for a stunning view and not take time to enjoy it? I sleep in and then head down for a lovely continental breakfast at the hotel. The bar in the hotel has ice and sparkling water – so after some good charades to make my request I get a beer stein filled (the little juice glasses they use for everything is just insufficient). Then I grab the little notebook I bought in Barcelona and head out to the beautiful backyard before the weather changes. An old picnic table with a sheepskin to sit on beckons to me, and I sit and write in my journal for hours and hours. It’s one of my favorite pasttimes, and especially lovely sitting at the foot of The Matterhorn.

            I decide to take a break – and I watch a Star Trek movie (I’m totally a Trekkie) – and then opt for a nap. (I mean, I am on vacation.) I love to sleep with my doors open (I’m on the 4th floor, so only Spiderman can get to me) – and I awake to much cooler temperatures and a rapidly greying sky. Soon enough I see the clouds rolling in, right up to my balcony. The elevation is so high here that clouds sit like fog on the hillsides all around – and soon the majestic Matterhorn has disappeared completely.

I grab my trusty denim jacket and sit out on the balcony to enjoy the storm and do some more writing – and soon hear thunder in the distance, heading this way. Fortunately this balcony has an overhang, so even in the rain I can sit out and still stay dry. I read on my Kindle app for a bit (still struggling with the fact that I didn’t bring a “real” book along). Before I left I downloaded an Annette Lyon romance, ironically set in Europe. I don’t read romances very often (I guess to many years of schoolwork-focus consumed all my reading) – so getting lost in a wholesome & clean romance is a lovely departure.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lovely way to spend a stormy day, suppose to be 117 here this weekend so enjoy what you have.

    ReplyDelete