Sunday, July 2, 2023

DAY 28 – BACK INTO ZERMATT

After breakfast, I hop back on the e-bus and ride the other route to get a better feeling for this charming little village. I hop off at the beautiful old stone church in the middle of town. In the frontyard are some very unusual headstones of some mountaineers that perished. And across the road is the prettiest little cemetery I’ve ever seen.

            This time I stop in almost every shop. There are lots of expensive fine jewelry stores – there’s a dedicated Rolex store here, so that lets you know the clientele that frequents Zermatt. Souvenier shops are filled with Swiss Army Knives, Swiss Watches, and Cow Bells – along with the typical souvenir bric-a-brac. I haven’t been buying souvenirs on this trip – just because I’d have to drag them all over Europe with me, and I’ve already overpacked. (This is a huge departure for me, remembering the time I bought TWO Bathroom sinks in Ensenada as souvenirs on a cruise! Not my smartest move.)

            The streets are busy, but I do stop into a Backerie and grab a yummy-looking cookie. Something with Almonds and dried fruit -- all smothered in beautiful creamy Swiss milk chocolate. These guys sure know how to do bread -- and people tend to shop for bread and groceries every day here. I grab a bratwurst from a street vendor on my way back to the hotel -- and it's fabulous. I'd forgotten how good real German Brats are.

            There are Lilac trees everywhere here, and they’re just coming into bloom. I absolutely love the White Lilacs especially. The whole town smells like lilacs – and it’s really lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment