Sunday, July 9, 2023

DAY 38 – THE PALACE OF VERSAILLE

The sprawling gardens at Versailles
My last full day in Paris, so I decide to spend it at Versailles. After a quick breakfast of fruit & croissants, I hop a train to Versailles.

            The Village at Versailles is just what you picture for a quaint, high-end Parisian neighborhood. Lovely shops, stylish women, adorable older couples. Since it’s Saturday there is what we would call a Flea Market (in the U.S.) and it's set-up next to the permanent market halls. The city sets up dozens of the canopied booths each weekend, and merchants bring their wares of all types. And the 4 permanent halls have meats, cheeses, prepared foods, and all sorts of individual merchants – each selling their unique specialties.

            I continue on to the stunning park-like walking street, lined with hundreds-years-old trees – leading directly to the palace. It’s the hottest day I’ve had this trip – about 90+ degrees, and the trees provide some very welcomed shade.

            The Palace of Versailles is spectacular – massive, with a magnificent gold gleaning wrought iron fence encircling it. I hop in line and begin my wandering. No tour group this time, just the audio tour (which is really quite good). Within the palace there are sections filled with beautiful period art – a wonderful selection of tall marble sculptures along with a dizzying array of oil portraits. And room after room of exquisite and ornate furniture – lots of bedrooms, but many sitting rooms many of which have beautiful desks. There’s a stunning Library. And a Music Room with 2 Harpsichords that were sadly covered up. (I’ve always wanted a harpsichord.)

            After the palace, I then mosey out to the gardens. There are 800 hectares, which (according to Google) is nearly 2000 acres – including 50 fountains. It’s so sprawling that they provide a map of the gardens with suggested routes to take so that you are able to see everything efficiently. I chose my route and began strolling. In this heat I melt (the humidity is doing me in) – but I have a hat, sunglasses, and water so I persevere. A few hours later I’m a sweaty mess – and listening to the whining children around me helps me realize it’s time to get somewhere cool to grab a drink (since my water is long since gone). I head to the Tea Room, set in the Palace in the Suite of Louis Something-or-Other (I can’t remember which; there were a lot of Louis.) I order a sparkling water and yummy dessert, and just sit to cool and relax before heading back on the train.

            A perfect way to spend my last full day in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment