Wednesday, June 7, 2023

DAY 3 – FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET AROUND PARIS



WOW – that was a looooong flight. But any day that starts with landing in Paris is a good day. More exploring will happen in a few days. Today is about getting to my friend, Sandrine. She lives a few hours from Paris – so that means it’s time to activate my Eurail Pass, and figure out how to get to Cherbourg, a port city along the northern coast. The Charles DeGaulle Airport is enormous – and I found it a rather confusing. After leaving the plane, I looked for something that would get me to a train.

            Thank heavens Verizon has an International Plan, and my phone just works automatically – including data. (How could we survive without cellphones anymore?) A quick search on Google Maps, and conferring with the directions Sandrine sent – and I’m off and wandering. My flight ended up being a few hours late, so I have missed the last train today to her city. And there isn’t ONE good app to reference to figure out what trains are running. I look at the Eurail site and Google Maps (and a couple of others) and eventually decide on a train that will get me somewhere close to her. I have to take a bus, and the subway, and then 2 different trains – but eventually I’m heading north.

            Trains are a lovely way to travel – and one I wish was more common in the U.S. I love to sit by the window and watch the serene countryside roll by. I tried to pay attention as the train stopped along the way – but I haven’t slept much the past few days, so I’m not exactly at my sharpest. They announce the towns at each stop, but I can’t understand the announcer – and most of them are far beyond my feeble attempts to prounounce the signs on the platform anyway. Fortunately I don’t have to worry about it, because this train is end-of-the-line and stops for the night at my destination (so there’s no way I can miss my stop – thank heavens!)

            A Facebook Message to Sandrine as I’m getting close, and she’s waiting for me as the train arrives. Sandrine – being the wonderful friend that she is – has stopped and grabbed me a sandwich and some fruit (and of course, some chocolate), since I haven’t eaten all day. And it’s almost sunset when I arrive. Ahhhhhh! I lost a whole day somewhere along the way – but I’m here, in France – and I’m ready to dive in!


            Sandrine and I worked together at Tahitian Noni many many years ago – and Noni Friends are Forever Friends. A few years ago she reached out and asked if she could come stay with me in Provo – for 4 months! Well, not exactly 4 months – her plan was to come visit me, and then plan all of her mini-trips (Canada, California, etc.) all based out of Utah. I was her “home base” for her trip – which made it much easier for her to plan, plus I got to see her between each of her trips.

            So, I decided to follow her lead – and I’ve planned this European Trip similarly – starting and ending with visiting her. It not only gives me an anchor point – but ensures that I get a good visit in with her also.

            Because despite all of the wonderful sites I’m sure to see over these next few weeks, I have no doubt that the PEOPLE along the way will be what I truly enjoy and remember the most.



No comments:

Post a Comment