Friday, June 16, 2023

DAY 11 – BUSES IN BARCELONA

I’ve learned that a great way to see a lot of sites is to buy a ticket on a tourbus. Most major cities have them (or multiple versions) and for a reasonable price you can get around to the major attractions. So I started out grabbing fruit and pastry at the local Supermercat, and headed for the Tourbus. This time there are two different routes – each about 2 hours – so I hike to the Open Top of the bus, and sit back to see what there is to see around the beautiful city of Barcelona.

            I start down by the pier, loop through the heart of the city, eventually switch routes, and head up into the hills. The architecture throughout the city is spectacular, and there seems to be an old church in almost every neighborhood. Along the way, the tour highlights a neighborhood known for it’s delicacies, so I hop off for a late lunch. And since I’m in Spain, I decide to get some Paella. Many years ago I had a roommate that served her mission in Spain – and I remember her making Paella. THIS is not what she served us. I have to admit that the very long antennae and the weird little creatures with all the legs were a bit much for me – and I’m a pretty adventurous eater. But once I figured out how to not get the antennae stuck in my teeth, it really was quite delicious. (I opted to not eat the multi-legged creature as it seemed rather rubbery.)

            Back on the bus, and my next stop a Bookstore. I can’t resist a good bookstore – except that all of these books are in Spanish. Oh well!  I opt for a blank notebook and head back for the bus. And my last stop for the day – another Arc de Triumph. This time it’s Arc de Triomf (Paris is Arc de Triomphe.) This one is from the 1888 World’s Fair – and this one is MUCH easier to access.

            In Barcelona there are Supermercat stores EVERYWHERE – like more than every block. Not quite what we would call a “super” market – but more like a neighborhood convenience store that is more focused on groceries than junk food. They have the milk/egg/cheese/break – but also some fruit/veg/meat. So I stop at one close to my hotel and grab some sort of meat pie (and more fruit, of course, I’m addicted!) I take it back to the hotel and settle in for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment