Monday, June 19, 2023

DAY 15 – ARRIVE ROME


Once on the bus to Rome, I immediately fell asleep – just as the sun was rising in Lyon, France. My first sunrise in Europe – but determined not to be my last.

            A short nap later, and I awake to . . . The Alps! It feels like I’m back in Utah, driving to Park City – with the lovely drop in temperature and the clean crisp mountain air. There are miles and miles of tunnels cutting through the hills here – all far too long to hold your breath through (and yes, I did try.)

            Along the hillsides, small town – and even a few small vineyards. This is just the edge of the Alps, and they will be gone soon – but here the clouds hug the hilltops, and you can still feel the morning fog on your skin.

            On the bus, the chatter has transformed from Spanish to Italian – which I also don’t speak, but bits of Mr. Rizzo’s high school Italian Class come rushing back, and my “gracias” has turned into “grazie”..

            One thing that is FAR superior in Europe – the Truck Stop Food. The sandwiches are amazing, fresh fruit is available, and chocolate bars … well, let’s just say that I’m not looking forward to American chocolate.  My Caprese sandwich has thinly sliced ham, ripe tomato slices, homemade mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves. Who wants Subway after that?!?!?

            On a road running parallel to the highway, I see a small red car (probably a Fiat) – and once again I’m an 8-year-old having an imaginary race. I watch the car until the trees get too thick. I won!

            Soon enough we arrive in Rome, and after the very long trip I just wanted to get to the hotel. I stay at a charming hotel, and as soon as I step into my room it feels like the 1930s. It’s clean and comfortable, and I drop my bags and head out for some quick evening exploring – and to find dinner. I walk by a few places, then I find a pizzeria. This isn’t like a pizza place I’ve ever been too – and as soon as I walk through the door, I’m hooked. There are dozens of types of pizza, some I would never imagine on a pizza. And quite honestly, I’m not the biggest pizza fan – but I think this place might have won me over.

1 comment: