Saturday, June 17, 2023

DAY 13 – BARCELONA SITES

After a lovely day of just relaxing, I’m ready to head back out. I head to a Pastry Shop to grab a Nutella-filled croissant (genius & delicious!) – and walk back to the Arc de Triompf. Today I’m back on the Tourbus – but this time I spend a bit more time in the lower level of the bus. (The sunburn isn’t quite gone, and I don’t want to risk it.) I hop on the bus, this time to the Sagrada Familia – officially called Basilica i Temple Expiatori de la Sagrada Familia. It was started in 1882 -- and it still isn't finished! Antoni Gaudi is a very well-known name here in Barcelona, and was the architect of quite a few building around here. Gaudi died in 1926, but his plans continue to be followed. He is quoted as saying "My client (God) is not in a hurry." The outside of the cathedral is spectacular -- and my favorite part of the inside is the amazing windows. Simply spectacular. A "not-to-miss" in Barcelona.

    There is also Casa Mila -- with a HUGE woman's head in front (which sounds rather odd, but it's quite wonderful) -- not to be compared to the Lichtenstein Head down by the waterfront, which is very pop modern.

    I also find a Chocolate Museum. It has chocolate houses (like gingerbread houses) of some of the famous sites in Barcelona -- including the Sagrada Familia (above). Along with equipment and history of chocolate, are the many things they have made in chocolate -- including some amazing animals. And of all the gift shops, this definitely has the best smelling museum store ever! They even have chocolate tiles that match the tiles on the streets of Barcelona. Barcelona Chocolate Factory -- yummmmm!

    And there's the Picasso Museum which has 4251 of his works. The building is spectacular, made up of 5 palaces from the 13th & 14th centuries that have been combined together. And Picasso himself donated much of his work to this museum personally, during his lifetime. We've all seen the "typical Picasso" styles -- but here they also have some of his early works, including a lovely traditional oil self-portrait from when he was a young boy studying art. I don't recall seeing much "traditional style" Picasso art -- but he was classically trained early on, and went on to develop his unique style. It was interesting to see his range and evolution as an artist. I also realize that I missed my calling as a Picasso Model.  

No comments:

Post a Comment