Thursday, June 15, 2023

DAY 10 – HOLA BARCELONA


Although I know there are some wonderful tourist sites to see, as I was researching online, one of the things that stood out to me was the sea and beaches of Barcelona.

            I sleep in (a recurring theme) then walk through a park across from the hotel (on my way to the beach). It’s a huge park – almost 200 acres, and includes many statues, a castle, a humongous fountain, and even the city zoo. There are lots of bikes and bike rentals in Barcelona – and lots of bike lanes, where they definitely have the right of way. And the 4-story fountain is beyond impressive. There was a man making bubbles in front of the fountain –  which had the children mesmerized. This park, Park Ciutadella, being across from the hotel – and the proximity to the beach, is why I selected this hotel – and it was a great choice.

Growing up in California, I went to the beach a lot. But the beaches here are sooooo different. First – the water. It ranges in color from a bright turquoise to a deep rich navy blue. And it’s clear, so clear you can see your feet as you begin to walk into the ocean. The sand is soft, and the only negative is that the distance from the boardwalk to the surf isn’t very deep – maybe 20-30 yards – with river rock that has collected at the water’s edge.

            I walk along the beach for a while before laying down a towel and sitting on the sand. I love the feeling of running sand through my fingers. Eventually I lay down and fall asleep, but not for long. There’s a popup bar at the edge of the beach, so I opt for a bite to eat.

            They have an amazing salad – with avocado, kiwi, and pistachios. But the non-alcoholic drink options are limited, and Coke Zero is the only thing without sugar – so I ask for Ice Water (which I again have to explain).

            I do love open-air eating – and nosh away. There are large cruise ships in the distance, and sailboats coming in and out of the nearby harbor. I lazily watch from the shore for a while, before packing it in and heading back to the hotel.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds so much fun I want to go! I always want to go to Spain 🇪🇸 someday!! ❤️❤️ be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love being on your travels with you,
    you make it sound like so much fun💕

    ReplyDelete