Friday, June 23, 2023

DAY 20 – ITALIAN VERSIONS OF AMERICAN GAMES

Well, it’s time to leave Florence. I check out of my hotel – which was an old 14th century Palace, that now is a 6-room hotel. (It sounds cooler than it actually ended up being.) And I slowly wind my way toward the train station. I take another lap through the Leather District (just to see if there is something that I just can’t live without. There isn’t.) And I saunter down to the Duomo again, and take a lap around the Baptistry.

            Along the way I stop in a cute Toy Store. It’s funny to see Italian versions of classic American Games:  Vita (Life), Cluedo (Clue), Taco Gatto Capra Cacio Pizza (Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza) – and my favorite L’Allegro Chirurgo (Operation), which translates to “The Merry Surgeon”. I watched a security guard stalking a young man with a backpack, and he tried to catch him by throwing a security tag at his feet as he walked through the sensors (sneaky!) – but he missed, and the young man continued walking, unaware.

            Another lovely train ride, with a snack box – but this time the Silcenzio car was completely full. Mostly Italian businessmen – most with laptops or books to read. No chitchat on this train ride – just silenzio. which was just great because it allowed me to watch the Italian countryside roll by, completely uninterrupted.

            Once in Milan, I grabbed a taxi (I was too tired to figure out the Metro system this evening) – and I ended up with an adorable taxi driver. He was probably in his 70s, and he was car-dancing to U.S. music from the 1970s – it was totally delightful.  His English was about like my Italian, but smiles are universal.

            He dropped me off at the hotel gate, and I was greeted with the delicate scent of honeysuckle as I entered the front courtyard. Unfortunately that’s where the scent stopped. But that’s OK, because it had been a long day and I was tired. Time to rest up to see Milan tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Another great day with no curbs attacking you. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've answered my question commented on your previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taco, Cat, Goat, Cheese, Pizza is one of our favorite games!

    ReplyDelete