Saturday, July 9, 2016

PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Hanging with my Homie (I mean Roomie)


My original plan had been to start my trip in Boise, but that just didn’t pan out. So I promised my old College Roommate Heather that I’d stop by on my way home, and here I was nearing the end of my trip.
   Heather and I lived on Darwin Avenue, right across the street from the LDS Institute and Student Center at Utah State University – and we had immediately hit it off. She was just returning from her mission in Oakland, California – and I had grown up there, so we had an immediate connection. And even though we were only roomies for a year (before we moved on to other apartments), that one year had really connected us.
   Not realizing quite how long my scenic journeying would take, I ended up at Heather’s house rather late – but as I pulled up every light in the house was on. OK, so I wouldn’t be waking anyone up – WHEW!  Quick intros to her family, and we headed upstairs to get me settled in the Guest Room. We talked until well past everyone went to sleep (even the teenagers), and finally realized we were getting tired about 1am – so we hugged “Good Night” and both crashed.
   In the morning, I awoke to muffled voices and the smell of pancakes. Oh yeah – that was one of the reasons we became friends in college: Heather is a great cook!  Heck, I even remember her making Homemade Tortillas once – and really, who does that?
   Anyway, there were her 4 boys (and a few rentals) coming and going, and her husband – a kitchen full of activity and yumminess. Then after breakfast, we went for a walk through her lovely neighborhood. There is a private walkway along a stream, with trees and ducks – and backyards running along both sides. Very serene and peaceful – and a great chance for us to just walk and talk, and catch up.
   Just after lunch I hit the road again. It was a short visit, but a great one. Heather and I hadn’t seen each other in over 20 years, but that didn’t matter. We became friends almost instantly in college, spent lots of time together that year as roommates, and we will always be friends. Some friendships are just like that. And fortunately, I’m quite certain that it won’t be another 20 years before we see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment