Sunday, July 10, 2016

PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Follow the Rainbow


OK, almost home – so, of course, I took the long route. This time I decided that I wanted to drive through Preston – since that’s where my parents are from. After having such a wonderful visit with my uncle and talking about the people we love, and so many memories of his childhood in Preston – well, I just had to go. Besides, the route from Boise to Pocatello was a route I’d never taken before.
   It was mostly blue skies and big white puffy clouds, but I did run into just a few brief raindrops along the way. And as I looked ahead on the map I saw that American Falls was on the way – since there’s just something beautiful about waterfalls, I decided to detour over to the dam for a look.
   Just as I got to the park at the dam, a rainbow appeared – a full end-to-end rainbow, with just a hint of a double rainbow alongside. Fortunately, I had planned on taking pictures at the dam, so camera in hand, I snapped a few pictures. Living in the desert I just don’t see rainbows all that frequently, and it’s really an awe-inspiring site. To be so close and see it so clearly as to see every color in the spectrum, it took my breath away and I just stood there mesmerized for a bit. As it started to fade, I hopped back in my car to continue on my journey – but instead of fading away it got stronger, so I followed it for a little while. As I drove along, following the rainbow, a freeway sign for the exit at Rainbow Road appeared (no, seriously – I can’t make this stuff up). So, following directions, I pulled off the exit and took a few more rainbow photos – this time with the sign included too.
   Honestly, I kindof hoped to find something amazing at Rainbow Road since a rainbow had led me there. But there was nothing there, just an off-ramp to a country road heading out toward farmland.
   But that’s OK – I don’t need the Pot of Gold at the end of the rainbow. The life I’ve been blessed with is all the riches I need – and I am truly and intensely blessed. My personal Pot of Gold is filled with amazing people, fabulous memories, and blessings more than I can count.

No comments:

Post a Comment