Friday, July 8, 2016

PACIFIC NORTHWEST - Beautiful Places Along the Road Less Traveled

Since I was on vacation, I decided to take the scenic route – I mean, why not “Stop and Smell the Roses”, right? So as I left Spokane, I decided to take the long way around, through Coeur d’Alene again, then down Highway 95 South – along Saint Joe National Forest, and just inside the Idaho border. Definitely a beautiful ride along old country roads, and with very little traffic it was the perfect way to enjoy the journey.
   I stopped in Moscow, Idaho, for lunch. I’ve never been to Moscow before, but it really is just like something out of Mayberry U.S.A. – they have the quintessential Classic American Main Street, yet carefully updated and pristine.  I found a cute little Coffee Shop on the corner – and followed the music inside. There was a Live Jazz Trio playing, and I ordered a Grilled Ham & Cheese – but since I usually do something with a twist, I had it on a croissant, then done Panini style. Yes, it was delish – and the music was good and quite relaxing!
   After lunch I walked down Main Street a bit and stopped in a cute little bookstore. It’s always been a hidden dream of mine to own a bookstore, and this was exactly the type of store that I’d want to own – quaint yet updated, a good selection of books, notes from the staff about their favorites, and accessories that tie into some of the selections (like certain stuffed animals to match some of the children’s books). They even had a Fundraiser section, with Mystery Books wrapped up – cryptic notes on the outside to give you a hint about the type of book – “NY Times Best-Selling Author” or “real-life story from 1880s” and “coming October 2016”, etc. It was for a good cause, and I love the chance for a good pre-release book – so I picked out a few that seemed most appealing to me. Then I was back on the road.
   At Florence, Idaho, I learned that there had been a Gold Rush in the area in 1861. Gold in Idaho?!?!?  At the time they had tried to keep it a secret, but word of Gold made it to California and people flocked to the area. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few years before all the gold had been mined out.
   I’d also never been to McCall, Idaho, and I got there just about sunset. My only experiences in Idaho were in the very southeast corner of the state – and this west side is so much more lush, green, and water-rich. I found a small park along the water in McCall and got out to stretch my legs – and watch the sun set over the water. It was beautiful.
   The Beaten Path isn’t really my thing – I’m much more of a “Two Roads Diverged in a Yellow Wood” type. I love to take the path less traveled by – both literally and figuratively. I often take the “long way” to work – it’s about 10-minutes longer, but it’s a beautiful drive – and really, what is there to see on I-15 anyway? And in my life I’ve taken some unusual paths – like when I quit my fulltime permanent job 3 years ago to take a temporary contract position. Even my new boss thought I was crazy, but it turned out to be the right decision for me – and my life and career are better for it.
   No, it doesn’t always turn out the way I hoped for – but I’m much rather say, “at least I tried” than to look back on my life and say “I wish I had.” Next time you have somewhere to go, take the long route, the scenic route, spend a few extra minutes to see something new. In this rush rush rush world, it’s amazing the things we don’t see anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment