Tuesday, January 26, 2016

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: A Very Smart Decision


A bit of running around, a test drive, a TON of paperwork, and pushing for a few extras to be thrown in – and I was the proud owner of a new car. OK, it wasn’t exactly “new” – but 2-years-old and only 18,000 miles is comparatively new (especially since my truck is 15 years now).

pic: My smart-looking Smart Car — a very smart decision!

   So what did I get???  (Drumroll please) . . . a Smart Car. I know, I know – they’re super tiny. Almost pocketsized. But I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this car.
   First, I got it for $2000 below Blue Book. Second, it gets 50 miles per gallon – yes, 50 miles! Third, well – it’s just so freaking adorable.
   Oh, don’t get me wrong – I was skeptical at first. I’m certainly not a petite woman – and at nearly 6-feet-tall, I’m all legs. I seriously doubted that I’d be comfortable riding in it, let alone driving it. But I have to admit that the legroom works out, and it’s really quite comfortable to drive.
   And since the Smart Car Fortwo Passion is made by Mercedes Benz, it is very well made. It definitely has that European Craftsmanship to it. And as a 3-cylinder car, it doesn’t have a lot of pick-me-up – but at 50 mpg this car is super-cheap to run.
   Buying a car on vacation definitely wasn’t on the original itinerary. But I’d been thinking about buying a car for a few years now, and I’ve done a bit of research along the way. Oh sure, a sports car or something bigger/fancier/musclier/etc. would have been fun – but not very practical. And when it comes to cars, well I’m pretty practical. I knew a good deal when I found it, and I gotta admit it: I love this little car.

No comments:

Post a Comment