Sunday, January 24, 2016

ON THE ROAD AGAIN: RV Friends


When I bought my RV, I started doing research on the RV Lifestyle. There are lots of YouTube videos – and I’m especially fond of Technomadia and Gone With the Wynns, two couples who v-log their fulltime RV lifestyles. I also joined a few RV online groups, including a Boondockers group. This group posts if they have a place on their property where you can stay for the night – including whether they have water/sewer/elec/etc.
   On this site I met Steph & Dave. They live just outside Oklahoma City, and have power and water hookups, plus parking for a 45-foot rig. I sent them an email, and they offered to let me stay at their place for free. As I got closer that evening, I sent them a text – and Steph came out and greeted me when I arrived. She showed me around their small farm, showed me the barn and their horses, pointed out where their Guest RV parking is, made sure I could reach the power box, and even invited me in for a glass of wine (which I politely declined).
   As night fell and I settled in my rig, I cooked up dinner, caught up on dishes/shower/etc. and headed to bed early. In the morning, I got up and did a few things on the rig – including Rain-X on the windshield, changed out the fuse for the horn & lighter, then filled my water tank and extra water jugs (since Steph & Dave have and delicious well water).
   This stop, more than any other, really showed me the RV Community. People that spend significant chunks of their time in their RVs – driving around to see the country and enjoy a very different lifestyle. There is an amazing freedom that comes from being able to drive your home anywhere you want – and at some point in the next few years, I would love to take a year and live the RV lifestyle fulltime.

No comments:

Post a Comment