Sunday, May 10, 2015

DAY 20 of 50 – Why I Don’t Like Mother’s Day


All day long it’s been cutesy posts all over Facebook about how great Mother’s Day is. But not to me. I’ve never liked Mother’s Day. Ironically, my mom didn’t like Mother’s Day either.
   Mom didn’t like it because at church on Mother’s Day Sunday, they would hand out flowers by category: the newest mother, the mother with the most kids, the youngest mother, the oldest mother, etc. Because my parents adopted me when they were age 50, my mom was ALWAYS the oldest mom – and she HATED it. Some of the other categories were cute, but Mom was offended when they handed her a rose for being “The Oldest Mother”, especially since it involved her having to admit her age in the process.
   And I’ve never been a mother. Oh, I tried. Tried and tried and tried, for years I tried. And when you’re battling infertility and Mother’s Day rolls around – well, it’s just another painful reminder. I never fit into any of those categories of Motherhood, and on more than one occasion I went home from church that Sunday and cried.
   My mom died 15 years ago, so the only way to visit her is to go to the cemetery – and cemeteries aren’t exactly happy, cheerful Mother’s Day spots. I do go to visit the cemetery regularly, and I typically take flowers. But Mother’s Day is not only a reminder that I have never been a mother, but that I don’t have one around anymore either. Honestly, this year I just decided to pass on the whole thing – it’s just too painful to face.
   Yes, I love my mom. She was a fabulous woman and a terrific mom. I miss her all the time. And today most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment