Friday, May 1, 2015

DAY 11 of 50 – Making Time to Make Stuff


When I was a kid, there was always some craft project Mom was working on. Sequined Calendars for all of her friends for Christmas. Candle Pillars made out of glass dishes. Baby Hats galore (which is where I learned). And she was quite well-known for the exquisite Temple Aprons she embroidered.
   I really liked making stuff when I was little – but it usually ended up creating quite a mess, and often didn’t quite turn out how I wanted. I remember these Shaker Jars my best friend and I made, planning to make a fortune by selling them around the neighborhood. And when Mom was making her beautiful Jeweled Christmas Trees (out of costume jewelry), she had me help by cutting the backs off the jewelry for her.
   As I grew up, the Craft Bug stayed with me. And as I got older, my crafts got bigger. I’ve done it all – scrapbooking, card making, various sewing projects, home décor items, jewelry, etc. I’m quite fortunate to have a wonderful Craft Room, and it is rather well stocked. I have hundreds of skeins of yarn, miles of fabric, and ever craft tool imaginable – including a Scroll Saw and an Embroidery Machine.
   I also have some amazingly talented friends. So a few of us got together and decided to do a Boutique. I have a huge room in my house that is PERFECT for it – so we decided to plan it for this weekend. Thursday night these talented friends began to arrive, with their wares in tow. A great variety of fun stuff at fabulous prices.
   I haven’t done as much crafting lately – life just got busy. But in preparing for this boutique, I decided to pull out some of my favorites, and make a few new things – and, of course, get around to a few of those unfinished projects.
   And it’s also made me want to make MORE stuff. As soon as this Boutique is cleaned out, I’ll get back to melting glass and doing fused glass projects in my kiln. I’ll make a baby blanket or two. I’ll do some embroidered pillows, kitchen towels, and baby gifts.
   Because it’s part of who I am and what I enjoy doing. It reminds me of my childhood and all the great things Mom made. And even more, I remember her friends’ reactions as she gave these gifts to them. Even as a kid, I knew it meant something more to them because she had made it herself. And that alone is reason enough to make the time to make stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment