Wednesday, April 29, 2015

DAY 9 of 50 – Payson Temple Tour


Despite growing up outside of Utah, I’ve never lived more than 15 minutes from a temple. Back when I was a kid there were only 23 temples, so it was much tougher. But nowadays with the new Star Valley Wyoming Temple breaking ground last week and the new Payson Utah Temple opening next month, it’s significantly easier to be close to one of the 150 temples in the world.
   Today I had the opportunity to go to the Payson Temple Open House. The original plans with the group disintegrated, but I decided to go anyway – and I’m so glad that I did.
   As it happens, I got there just as the volunteer shifts were changing, which caused a little confusion. I was directed down the wrong hall, and as everyone else went into a meeting room, I continued down the hall – fully expecting to find the next step of the tour ahead. Instead I turned the corner, went through the next door – and ended up in the Bride’s Dressing Room, all alone. It’s a stunningly beautiful room, but even more was the tremendous sense of peace that washed over me. All alone, no crowds, no kids. Just a few moments to myself to not only appreciate the beauty of the room, but also to appreciate the Spirit of the Temple. Although temples are usually quiet and peaceful, they are typically busy and filled with people. I can only remember one other time of such solitude in the temple, and that was nearly 25 years ago.
   Despite that this temple isn’t dedicated and open for temple work yet, there is a reverence already present there. Everything about this magnificent structure resonates with the sacred nature of its purpose. And in that moment, I felt the very thinness of the veil between this world and the next. And despite being the only person in the room, there was an overwhelming sense that I was certainly not alone. I drank it in for a few minutes – that feeling, that true sense of communing. Then, knowing I was inadvertently in the wrong place, I ventured back out to find a guide a get back on the regular part of the tour.
   At first I was a bit disappointed that the rest of the group cancelled. But looking back I now understand that it happened just the way it was supposed to – as do so many things in this life. At the time, we cannot see it – but God definitely has a plan for each of us. And yesterday I was reminded of His plan for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment