Thursday, April 23, 2015

DAY 3 to 50 – Yes, I am older than the Internet


Today I worked from home. I don’t do that very often, and in fact it’s the first time I have since I started at Adobe. And it was easy. Heck, my boss (who lives in Atlanta) probably didn’t even realize I wasn’t in the office today – since I still got all my work done, and responded to his emails as fast today as any other day.
   The truth of the matter is that I could probably do my job from anywhere. I mean, as long as I have a cellphone and wifi, I can do about 95% of my job. Most of my meetings are Conference Calls. And instead of “actual” Meeting Rooms, I have an Adobe Connect Meeting Room (a Virtual Meeting Room) – so I send out a link and my coworkers can see whatever I choose to share on my computer screen. Which is especially great since most of the people that I work with work either out of a different Adobe Office, or (more likely) from home.
   I can remember my first Corporate job. I was 16-years-old, and I was the Office Manager for Equitec Financial Group Inc. (that was later bought-out by Warren Buffet). It was 1981 and I worked in the Property Management division, in the office. And yes, I really was the Office Manager, even at that young age – because back then all real estate contracts had to be typed up, and I could type like the wind (95+wpm). It would sometimes take HOURS to type up a contract, and then if one little thing needed to be changed (unless I could work some magic with White-Out), I would often have to type it up again.

pic: I actually had this “laptop” — it weighed 25 lbs!

   In the 35 years I have been working, I have seen amazing changes in technology. From the fascination when IBM Selectric typewriters came out, the ones with the balls – and we could change the ball and type in Italics. WOW – that was lifechanging. When I worked for the LDS Church doing Genealogy, and we had Green Screen Terminals for our computers – and our world was revolutionized by having DOS-based screens that we could change to 16 different colors. Oooooooooo – pretty colors! And then in 1992, just as I started at Franklin Covey, Windows was brand new – and everyone was transitioning away from DOS, and I ended-up ahead of the curve just because I had fortuitous timing and learned the Windows stuff first and fast. And within a few years, Al Gore had invented the internet, and suddenly instead of mailing disks across country, I could go to an FTP site and upload and download files to coworkers thousands of miles away. Astounding!
   Today, I can do most of my work from my Smartphone. With calling, emails, and apps, much of my job can be done from a device smaller than the Compact Mirror I carried in my purse to that first job not so many years ago. And now with Satellite Phones and Mifi (portable personal hotspots for internet), I could literally be in the middle of the desert in a tent and still do my job. Maybe it’s not “walking uphill both ways in the snow”, but I certainly have seen quite a few changes in the Corporate America set-up over the years. And with the advantage of working at Adobe, I am literally on the forefront of some of the most amazing advancements that we will see this decade.
   Yes, I know that it makes me sound old to reminisce about typewriters and my old Commodore 64 computer, but heck – that’s part of what getting older is all about. And with 50 rapidly approaching, I guess I just have to admit that, yes, I am older than the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment