Tuesday, April 21, 2015

50 DAYS TO 50


Well, ready or not, it’s coming – my 50th birthday. In 50 days, on June 8, 2015, I will turn 50-years-old. And, yes, I do plan on celebrating – in a BIG way. I mean, I’m only turning 50 once. (You should plan on attending – it will be EPIC!)
   I get retrospective twice each year – around New Year’s Day and around my birthday. Both are great times to reflect on where I have been and where I am going. And certainly turning 50 is increasing that sense of retrospection.
   Half a Century Old. Yup, that makes it sound older. But somehow 50 doesn’t feel as old as I used to think that 50 was. When I was little, 50 seems so O-L-D. But nowadays 50 is so much more young and active. And I’m incredibly fortunate to be in great health. In fact, I’m the only person my age that I know that isn’t on some sort of prescription medication for something.
   Am I where I wanted to be at age 50?  Hmmmm, in some ways – no. I never expected to be single and dating again. I thought I’d have a career in writing & publishing, and not in training & technology. And I never imagined I’d be in Utah, let alone in Provo.
   In other ways I’m far further at age 50 than I ever dreamed. I have a fabulous career, and have worked at some of the best companies in the country. I’ve traveled quite a bit, and extensively around the U.S. – with much more traveling ahead. I have an amazing house, am debt-free, make good money, and am in good shape for both retirement and other investments along the way.
   But mostly – I’m Happy! No, life isn’t perfect – and I’ve certainly had my ups-and-downs these past 50 years. But I have a great life – a fabulous family, amazing friends, terrific neighbors, great coworkers. I wake up every morning excited to face the day and the great opportunities that constantly come along.
   And I’m not done yet. With the Big 5-0 rapidly approaching, I’m also going to knock a few more things off of my Bucket List in the next 50 days. Over the coming weeks, I’m going to have a few more adventures and do a few things that I’ve always wanted to do. So stay tuned for the next 50 days – you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment