Wednesday, December 17, 2014

CHRISTMAS DAY 17 – REINDEER ARE MY NEW HEROES


WHY REINDEER ARE MY NEW HEROES by Gena Roe

pic: from the Music Video “My Ex-Husband Got Run Over by a Reindeer”

If you’ve watched my new Music Video for “My Ex-Husband Got Run Over by a Reindeer”, you’ll understand why Reindeer are my new Heroes. The singing Reindeer featured in the Music Video was a gift from my mom over 20 years ago, and it really sings “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer”. (Mom had a great sense of humor!) And even my Christmas Tree has a bunch of Reindeer Ornaments this year.

pic: A gift from my mom over 20 years ago. (stuffed singing reindeer)

All of this Reindeer talk lately got me wondering how Reindeer became part of the Christmas Tradition. (Besides, I’ve been getting a lot of great and fun responses to my video, so I decided to have a bit more fun with it today.)

Although there were a few scant mentionings prior, Reindeer really came into the forefront of Christmas with the 1823 poem, “A Visit from St. Nicholas” (now called “The Night Before Christmas”.)
   When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
   But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny reindeer,
   With a little old driver, so lively and quick
   I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
   More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
   And he whistled and shouted and called them by name;
   “Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
   On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Dunder and Blixem!
   To the top of the porch, to the top of the wall!
   Now, dash away, dash away, dash away all!”

pic: A reindeer ornament from my tree this year.

Yeah, the names got changed to Donner and Blitzen, largely because of the children’s book Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (see link). The words Dunder and Blixem mean thunder and lightning in Dutch and German. And certainly, in my video, that was the effect they had on the “Ex-Husband”.
There are a number of places around that have real Reindeer this time of year – including Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, Utah. I think maybe I’ll swing by there on Saturday. I mean, taking them a few treats is the very least I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment