Thursday, December 11, 2014

CHRISTMAS DAY 11 - CHRIST'S HANDS by Gena Roe

Christ’s Hands by Gena Roe, December 12, 2014

This evening I had the wonderful opportunity of going to Temple Square to enjoy the Christmas lights. It’s truly spectacular on Temple Square and the adjoining plaza. We stopped to look at the life-size Nativity and listen to the narration and music. And it was the perfect evening to be out in the mildly cool air to really drink in the Christmas atmosphere.
   We turned and headed inside the North Visitor’s Center, and up the ramp to the Christus – the beautiful white marble statue of the Resurrected Jesus. And as I stood there at His feet, I remembered a very different time in that very room.
   My family moved to Utah my senior year in high school, and almost immediately my parents were called to be missionaries on Temple Square. For 7 years they served every week, and Temple Square became a central focus in their lives and in their hearts. Not long after they began their mission, Mom came home from Temple Square very upset – and it was obvious that she had been crying. Apparently someone had taken a hammer to the Christus Statue – and broke off the hands.
   Mom told me that they had closed off that section of the Visitor’s Center until the statue could be repaired, but that as a missionary she was able to go up and see it. She described the view she had seen: the statue standing there, surrounded by the beautiful heavens – but that at the ends of each arm were large cloths, draping to cover the damage. My mom was crushed to think that someone had done something to “her” statue.
   Dad shared that he had spoken with their Temple Square Mission President, who had assured them that the statue would be repaired immediately – and then added: “He has no hands but thine.”
   That has stayed with me for over 30 years now. Because I’ve always known the story of the Christus Hands, I looked closely at the wrists of the statue this evening, and could see the barely visible lines from the amazing repair job. And standing there tonight I could hear my dad’s voice: He has no hands but thine.
   And that really is what this Christmas season is for – to remember the tiny baby, the life He lived, His example for how we should live our lives. More than just one day out of the year for giving, hopefully we are finding ways throughout the year to give gifts to those we love – and to those we don’t even know. Because it is truly our duty to be His Hands, for He has no hands but ours.


His Hands 

No comments:

Post a Comment