Wednesday, June 15, 2016

PACIFIC NORTHWEST – A New Passport

One of the things I needed to do for this trip was to renew my passport, which had just expired. I know you can do it all through the U.S. Postal Service – but I hate going there for stamps, and I just didn’t have the patience to do a passport with them. 20 years ago when I was at Franklin Covey, I started using a company called The Travel Broker. They could get Visas and Passports turned around amazingly fast, which came in really handy when you’re sending people all over the world.
   I called Connie and checked details on what I needed to do, and then, old passport in hand, I drove up to her office in SLC. A few forms, a quick photo, and I was on my way, with my passport to be ready in a few weeks.
   Sure enough, a few weeks later I got a call that my passport was ready – I just needed to go up to Salt Lake and pick it up. But … well, I had something happening Every.Single.Day – seriously! I thought I could run up on my lunch hour, but that didn’t happen. Maybe one day after work, but that didn’t happen. OK, Wednesday when I leave at noon I’ll stop on my way. Uh oh – because that didn’t happen either. CRAP!  I can’t take this cruise without my passport, and now I can’t get to SLC to get it.
   Fortunately I have a friend that lives only a few minutes from The Travel Broker. A few phone calls (especially to make sure that someone else can pick up my passport), and my passport would be waiting for me – even if I couldn’t get there until midnight.
   As usual, I was cutting it close, but I met my friend just as his shift was starting — in his company parking lot. Hearing my desperation and wanting to do something extra, I not only received my passport, but a few Rockstars and even a couple of sandwiches and some snacks for my long drive ahead.
   Yup – I am blessed to have some really terrific friends in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment