Saturday, November 15, 2014

DAY 76 - CHILI ENOUGH FOR CHILI

I hate cold weather. I’m a very big Winter Wimp. I think it’s because I grew up in the Bay Area, where COLD was 55⁰ and HOT happened at 85⁰. Although I didn’t turn the furnace on until last week, I have found myself pulling out a few extra blankets the past few nights. A sure sign that we are rapidly moving through Fall and Winter will be here any day now. And the light dusting of snow on the lawn this morning only confirms my suspicions.
   One of the few things that I do actually like about the colder weather, is that for me Winter is definitely Crock Pot season. Sure, you can use it other times if you want, but I never do. But when the weather gets colder and I want something hot for dinner, there’s nothing like a crock pot.
   And, even for someone as lousy at cooking as I am (and I truly am a lousy cook), most crock pot recipes are rather foolproof. I mean, I don’t do any of the fancy ones – just the “dump a bunch of stuff in the pot and walk away” recipes. And fortunately, Pinterest is an easy source for oodles of recipes like that – ones that even I can do.
   Since I have always worked, I love days when I start the crock pot before leaving for the office – because it means getting to come home to a hot dinner waiting for me. Plus, because I always make a big batch, it also means leftovers for a few days – and leftovers are my favorite food.
   So today I decided that today it was Chili Enough for Chili – a nice big pot of it. It’s definitely a “dump a bunch of stuff” recipe – and even I can’t screw up chili. All day long it has been simmering away, the house smelling yummilicious – and even the dogs getting excited every time I go to check on it.
   Grab a sweater, pull out an extra blanket, and fire-up your crock pot – because winter is knocking at our doorstep. And if you’re in the mood for a bowl of chili, come on over – I made a ton.   


No comments:

Post a Comment