Saturday, November 15, 2014

DAY 75 - EVERY LADY LOVES A GENTLEMAN

I was on a date the other night, and the man actually pulled out a chair for me. I can't remember the last time that happened – a chair pulled out for me. Typically doors, yes – especially on dates, and even sometimes in regular life. But it seems that as we “advance” and become “equals” that we've lost some of those beautiful gentlemanly qualities – once considered commonplace. Now, even on dates they are sometimes rarely seen.
   Maybe it’s my own fault, because I don’t expect it anymore. And I think that I don’t expect it because I have been in the workforce for so long, predominantly with men – and it’s so rarely seen in most everyday work environments. No one has ever stood when I entered or left a meeting, or stepped away from a conference table. And, admittedly, it would probably be scoffed at – even possibly “inappropriate” based on the Sexual Harassment sensitivity that most businesses teach anymore.
   And that is sad, and probably our own fault as women. With all of this Women's Equality, we’ve lost some things along the way too. Oh, I believe in equal-pay-for-equal-work, but I do not believe in “equality”. Equity, yes; equality, no. Men and women are different, and beautifully so – and I like and celebrate those differences. Have we, as women, put so much effort put into the movement for Feminism that we have lost some of our femininity in the process? And, sadly, why can't we have both?
   I have a dear friend from Europe, who is very much a Gentleman. He still opens doors, lets women walk first – all of those little details. We’ve been friends for years, and used to go to lunch or dinner together quite regularly – and even though we have never dated, he still always opened doors, etc., for me. We still get together once in a while, but he doesn’t open my car door anymore. It’s not that he is any less gentlemanly, but because it’s so rare here in the U.S. that he doesn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea about it. It is something that he now reserves to only do for his wife.
   I get that, I do. I understand about how we sometimes make choices because of other people’s perceptions. And I think it’s lovely that he still opens car doors for his wife. It just makes me sad that something that was commonplace here a generation ago – something as simple as all men opening all doors for all women – is now so infrequently seen today.
   I’ve talked to a few male friends about it. Most of them were raised to open doors and such. But most guys say that they hesitate to do it anymore publicly (and especially at work), because they have had women (typically on more than one occasion) express that they didn’t “need” their door opened – that they could do it themselves. Really? In all the thousands of times I’ve had a door opened for me, I never once thought he was doing it as a demeaning gesture or one that I couldn’t do for myself. I have always found it charming and a demonstration of good manners, and a kind and gentle gesture – and I always will.
   My dad ALWAYS opened the car door for my mom. And since Mom never drove a car, she rarely went anywhere without him. And now that I’m dating again, I do find that opening car doors is still mostly commonplace. Even when I was married, my car door was typically opened for me – oh, sometimes we’d be in a rush, and I’d just hop in the car. But I think it’s wonderful when a man demonstrates his appreciation for a woman by doing little things like that. And I do admit that I find it not only flattering when it happens on a date, but it does leave me with a better impression of the man. I mean, every woman wants to be treated like a lady.
   So, guys, still open doors for women. Pull out chairs. Let her enter or exit an elevator first. And, girls, allow him to do those things – and appreciate it when he does.



No comments:

Post a Comment