Wednesday, March 21, 2012

World Poetry Day

According to the United Nations, today is World Poetry Day. As a sometimes-poet, and a huge Poetry fan – I decided to jump on the bandwagon. I took a few minutes (probably should have taken longer) and wrote a poem for my employees. It really wasn’t very good, but it was funny – and I’m hoping “it’s the thought that counts” is how it was received. It was a clear demonstration of why I had better not give up my Day job!

Continuing in the Poetry-Day spirit, for my lunch I decided to take a few minutes to go for a walk outside and think on one of my favorite poems, “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost. I’ve had it memorized for years, so I just walked through the Gardens and enjoyed the beautiful Spring day, thought about this poem – and reflected on my life.

A few months ago, I came to my personal Fork in the Road. I was the traveler, standing at the fork and looking down each road as far as I could – and having to decide which road to take. And I am now quite a distance down that path. Certainly too far to turn around (which I don’t want to do anyway), but still wondering what is ahead of me on this road. Certainly there are grassy spots, and no doubt there will be fallen trees and other obstacles. But this is the Road that I have chosen, and I am happy to be moving forward along it.

And most of all, somewhere ages and ages hence, I will look back on this Road of Life and will be proud of this journey. It’s not always easy, but it is certainly always worth it.

[If you’d like to read Robert Frost: http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-road-not-taken/]

No comments:

Post a Comment